Here are 4 quick tips for better leadership authenticity from author and leadership consultant, Phil Eastman.
First, there are three major barriers:
- First, we live in an image saturated world with few opportunities to see, recognize and celebrate authentic leadership.
- When character discussions arise, they are almost always directed negatively rather than focused on the positive. In other words, character is more visible when things are fractured rather than intact.
- The third and possibly most challenging element in the pursuit of leadership authenticity is solid and realistic self-awareness. Introspection about your character and leadership style is very difficult and yet is the master key to your development.
All that said, self-awareness is the key to authentic leadership, and authentic leadership is critical to your organization’s success. To develop authentic leadership, one must –
- Find and use a character model that appeals to you.
- Determine what behaviors you will adopt and build into your leadership based on that character model.
- Practice your new leadership behaviors in the work you currently do.
- Share with your team what you are working toward (they will appreciate the authenticity).
Please post your wisdom and experience too – thank you
Also, read the entire article on this topic – “Authentic Leadership Behaviors in 4 Steps“
Do you want to acquire some better self-awareness of your leadership strengths and struggles? Start with the free Leading with Honor Discovery Report – Register Now